Six schools in New York City – and 18 in the state — among this year’s Blue Ribbon designees. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes schools in each state every year that meet certain performance standards.
This year’s local winners are
- P.S. 46 The Alley Pond School in Queens;
- P.S. 66 Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School in Queens;
- P.S. 199 Jessie Isador Straus School in Manhattan;
- P.S. 221 The North Hills School in Queens;
- P.S. 222 Katherine R. Snyder School in Brooklyn; and
- P.S. 247 in Brooklyn.
The award does not bring any financial rewards, but it considered a feather in the cap for schools that earn it. Schools that win get a plaque and are expected to share their strategies for success. Last year, the city’s five winners included two charter schools.